Do you color by numbers but wonder if painting will be just as interesting? Are you wondering if this hobby is for kids or for adults? You don't know what activity to do in your spare time after work?
Don't panic, we are passionate about this subject and know exactly how to help you make up your own mind.
What is painting by numbers
Painting by number is a hobby that involves painting (numbered) area of a canvas with paint (often acrylic). Usually, your kit comes with everything you need to do this activity (canvas, brush, paints kits, sometimes DIY Frame) as well as a guide and a picture showing you the final result.
More precisely, the composition of the paint by numbers kits is as follows
- A canvas
- Pots of paint numbered (corresponding to each area on the canvas)
- 3 brushes of different sizes. A large brush for large areas, a medium and a small brush to use for a small area.
- A DIY Frame (depending on the kit chosen): You will receive a frame to assemble yourself.
- A step-by-step guide on how to do this art activity.
- A picture that will show you what the final result should look like.
Paint by number is often confused with diamond embroidery which is totally different. Diamond embroidery is the art of assembling small shiny squares (of different color) on a canvas to reproduce a pattern or a painting that shines with a thousand lights.
Why this is one of the best ways to start painting
Paint by number really does give you a start in painting. That's because when you order the kits, you get everything you need to paint right away.
As you know, painting is one of the 7 art forms that exist. To produce works recognized by the whole world, it requires a lot of time and work. Indeed, each paintings technique requires hours of work in order to be recognized as the best in its field. Moreover, the type of paint is also important because acrylic paint does not behave the same way as oil paint.
Starting from a blank canvas and creating a real work from scratch will require a lot of time to get the right touch. Cover a blank canvas with different paints is not that easy.
Painting by number is a good way to begin painting. It is a fun and enjoyable activity that you will love. Indeed, you will have the possibility to choose your kit among a large selection or to choose a custom painting.
A few tips on how to do this activity
As we have seen in the previous sections, painting this way is a great technique to help you get started with this art.
Below are the best paint by numbers tips for this activity:
- Choose a flat, clear surface to perform this hobby.
- Keep a glass of water nearby to rinse the brushes after each use. However, be sure to remove as much water as possible before dipping the brushes back into the acrylic paint.
- Make sure the tool is clean before dipping it into a different color paint.
- Start with the darkest colors and end with the lightest colors. Wait for the paint to dry before paintings the surrounding areas. This will give you a better result and avoid color mixing.
- Close the paint cans after each use to prevent the paint from drying.
- Use gesso: Gesso can be applied directly to the canvas. It makes the surface smoother, more adherent, while reducing the absorption of the paint by the support. Today, gesso is available in white, black or transparent colors. Gesso is used by people with a more advanced level.
- Cover the numbers with white paint to prevent the number from being visible.
- Keep into the habit of painting one color at a time.
- Clean your brush after each use. It is important to clean the utensils well after using them.
- If unfortunately the paint is dry in a jar, you can add a couple of drops of water to make it more liquid.
As you can see, paint by numbers is the better way to learn the art of painting.
This fun activity can be practiced by one of the kids or even adults because it is relatively easy (depending on the model chosen).
We offer a wide selection of paint by numbers kits representing the themes you love or opt for a custom paint by numbers.
Discover them now by clicking on the image below and become a great artist.
How about reading our article: How to paint by numbers - Ethan's Tips