Paint by numbers instructions to succeed
You want to start your paint by numbers but you don't know exactly how to do it?
A paint by numbers if you start it wrong can be ruined. If you make a number of mistakes, it will be difficult to catch up. But you don't want to miss your future masterpiece unnecessarily.
Don't panic, we are passionate about this subject and know exactly how to help you. Let's find out how to make your paint-by-numbers project a success every time.
1.Choose and prepare your work area
You just received your paint by numbers kits. Before you begin this activity, it is important to choose and prepare your environment. Here is a non-exhaustive list of things to do before you begin:
- Find a comfortable and well-lit room to paint in: You have a wide choice of paint by numbers on our store. However, there are some very detailed kits among our products, which means that the areas to be painted are smaller. For this reason, we recommend that you put yourself in a well-lit area to see all the details of your paint by numbers.
- Choose a comfortable desk or table to paint on: You will spend many hours painting, so it is important to choose a space where you will be comfortable.
- Clear the area of anything you don't want to damage: This will help you avoid messing up your surroundings.
- Take a picture of your blank canvas: Take a picture of the final image of your paint by numbers.
- Prepare a small amount of water with some tissues (paper towels): It is important to keep your brushes wet but not too wet so that they don't dry out during the activity.
2.Paint by numbers instructions
Once you have chosen your work space and prepared the canvas, it is time to start your masterpiece.
a. Do one number at a time
This activity involves matching each of the paint cans that are numbered with the pre-numbered area on the canvas. We strongly recommend that you use one number at a time to prevent the paints from drying out (this would make it unusable). This method has two advantages:
- It reduces the amount of rinsing the brush between each number. It allows you to clean your brushes less times.
- It allows the paint to dry on the canvas before moving on to another color. It avoids mixing the two acrylic paints that would be too fresh.
b. Start from the top down
In order to avoid smudging, we recommend that you start your paint by numbers from the top to the bottom of the canvas. For example, if you start with paint number 7, you paint all areas with that number from the top down.
c. Paint from left to right or vice versa?
We advise you to paint according to your dominant hand. Indeed, the direction depends on whether you are right or left handed:
- Right-handed: we advise you to paint from left to right.
- Left-handed people: we advise you to paint from right to left.
d. Start with the darkest color
We recommend that you start with the darkest colors and end with the lightest colors.
The darker colors are usually part of the background and will help you create an outline that will give you a general idea of the image you are painting. As soon as you finish the background, continue with the smaller areas.
e. Use the tip of your brush
Dip only the tip of your brush. This trick will help you gain precision and help you stay within the lines.
It will also keep the paint in the rest of the brush from drying (in the bristles closest to the handle). This trick will save you paint, so you'll have more left over for touch-ups on your work.
Also, this technique will make it much easier for you to rinse your brush between each color.
f. Start with the largest areas
It is important to start with the larger areas and end with the small areas. This method has two advantages:
- It will give you an initial idea of the final result.
- This method will save you time and help you avoid accidental smudging.
g. Close the paint cans after each use
Paint by numbers involves covering the numbers on the canvas with the corresponding paint. As shown earlier, it is important to do one number at a time. When you are finished with a color, it is very important to reseal the canister to avoid ending up with dry paint.
h. Put in enough paint
It is important to put on enough paint to cover the numbers and lines. Don't be afraid to put on several layers of paint. However, be careful how much paint you use so you don't run out.
3. To conclude
As you can see, paint by numbers is a relaxing activity. Little by little you will love painting.
Now that you have these paint-by-numbers tips, you are now an expert at doing this activity without fear of making irreparable mistakes.
You can learn more tips and tricks on this activity by visiting our article "The Complete Beginner's Guide to Paint By Numbers". It will take you from a beginner to an expert level.
We offer you the opportunity to choose from our wide selection of paint by numbers.
Start your first painting now by clicking on the image below.